OurTube…

April 9, 2007 | | 3 Comments

I contributed a piece to the National ACS Blog about C-SPAN’s copyright policies. Nancy Pelosi recently posted a video of herself speaking at a House Committee meeting onto her YouTube account. It was official C-SPAN footage, and so C-SPAN asked her to remove it.

Want to know how things turned out? Read the blog post over there, and if you feel like it, leave a comment on their blog. Let’s show the rest of the country that our chapter is active and full of insightful progressive thinkers.

I wonder how C-SPAN feels about MC Rove footage being up on YouTube?

When youve finished writemypaper4me.org writing a chapter of a novel, or a nonfiction article, etc

3 Comments so far

1. Stereotypical Libertarian on April 10, 2007 9:49 am

Congrats on the national recognition. Too bad they didn’t link it back to the school, to get W&M a bit more publicity.

I’m curious: does C-SPAN have a monopoly on recording and broadcasting government proceedings? This should have an impact on the discussion of what kind of copyright they should have.

2. Mark Pike on April 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks for the kind words…

C-SPAN’s coverage of government proceedings isn’t a monopoly, but they’re frequently the only folks broadcasting.

Carl Malamud wrote a great letter to Nancy Pelosi to encourage Congress to take steps to provide broadcast material on their own.

Check it out:
    http://public.resource.org/dear_speaker.html

3. Stereotypical Libertarian on April 10, 2007 3:16 pm

I have to say I was one of the many who mistakenly thought C-SPAN was financed by taxpayers. Knowing now that they aren’t, I’m a little more sympathetic to their case.

I appreciate Mr. Malamud’s realization that what’s going to be important here isn’t just my ability to see Ted Stevens tell us about the difference between a series of tubes and a dump truck, but also my ability to set that speech to music and distribute it over bittorrent (aka “sending an internet”).

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind